These are the deductions as listed in the 2017-2020 Code of Points.
- These deductions can be applied to more than one event.
|crossed ankles in twist|
|bent knees in twist|
|leg separation in twist|
|leg separation in tuck (cowboying)|
|lacking flexibility in split (up to 20 degrees)|
|open ring position in sheep jump|
|bent knees in laid out skills|
|lacking flexibility in split (up to 45 degrees)|
|leg separation in tuck, with knees wider than shoulder-width apart|
- These deductions can be applied to all four events.
- If there's no fall, the maximum deduction cannot exceed 0.80.
|legs apart on landing|
|staggered legs on landing|
|extra arm swings|
|loss of balance|
|chest down (body posture fault)|
|large loss of balance|
|large step (wider than one meter)|
|large hop (wider than one meter)|
|chest close to knees (body posture fault)|
|support on apparatus with one hand|
|support on apparatus with two hands|
|fall on mat to knees/ hips|
|fall on apparatus|
|fall against apparatus|
|fall off apparatus|
|leg separation in first flight|
|bent knees in first flight|
|landing to either side of the center line|
|lack of height|
|insufficient distance from the vault|
|piking down a laid out twist|
|leg separation in first flight (up to 90 degrees)|
|twisting when contact is made with the vault table|
- Blocking off the table with one hand instead of two is a 2-point deduction.
- If a gymnast begins to run down the runway and stops, without touching the vault table and springboard, she is permitted another attempt but has to take a 1-point deduction.
- If a gymnast begins to run down the runway and stops by touching the vault table and springboard, she is given a zero.
- Failure to land feet first results in a zero.
Uneven Bars Deductions
|missed handstand (10 to 30 degrees)|
|loss of rhythm|
|arch in handstand|
|lack of height on release move|
|catching a release move with bent arms|
|missed handstand (up to 45 degrees)|
|severe lack of height on release move|
|large arch in handstand|
|hitting foot/ feet on bar|
|missed handstand (more than 45 degrees)|
Balance Beam Deductions
|grasping the beam to prevent falling off|
Floor Exercise Deductions
|falling out of a turn|
|pause in preparation of element (longer than two seconds)|
|adjustment (unnecessary steps)|
|adjustment (unnecessary arm movements)|
|excessive arm swing before dance element|
|starting immediately with a tumbling pass|
|back-to-back tumbling passes along the same acrobatic line|
|no choreography after last tumbling pass|
- Starting a skill out of bounds causes the entire skill to not be counted towards the routine's start value.
- Music is allowed to have human voices (vocalizing, humming, whistling, etc.), but actual words/ lyrics results in a 1-point deduction.
- Lack of music also results in a 1-point deduction.
- Finishing the routine after the music ends is a 2-tenth deduction.
Downgrading of Skills
- If a twisting skill is underrotated to the point of not fully completing the twist, it's downgraded to the next twist (i.e., an incomplete triple twist is downgraded to a 2½ twist).
- The same applies to turns, paying attention to when the heel drops in the turn. If the heel drops too early, the turn is downgraded.
- If a laid-out vault is severely piked or tucked in the air, it's downgraded to the piked or tucked variation, depending on the body position in the air.
- On vault, if the feet and any other part of the body (i.e., butt) touch at the same time on a Produnova, it's downgraded to a front handspring front tuck.
- On beam, back layouts must maintain a stretched position in the air or will be downgraded to a D skill.
Neutral deductions are taken off the final score.
|stepping outside the corridor with one foot on vault|
|one foot stepping out of bounds on floor exercise|
|warming up on the podium prior to the routine|
|finishing a balance beam or floor exercise routine past the 90-second time limit|
|stepping outside the corridor with two feet on vault|
|two feet stepping out of bounds on floor exercise|
|landing out of bounds with both feet on floor exercise|
|not saluting the judges before/ after routine|